Saturday, February 4, 2012

Maison Cote Chicken, saffron, fennel congee

 I love congee, this was not always the case, I remember looking at Chinese eating morning congee with chicken & mushroom, this was so not my idea of breakfast, couples years ago I did have a mouth surgery and I was offer congee and it was love at first taste.
From Vancouver where we have a very large modern Chinese community with a very diverse cuisine I was able to indulge in my congee pleasure every day for a very small price,  when in Hong Kong my best foody friends bring me to the best congee maker in the City I am just in congee heaven.

I found lot of recipe online and try some and realize how easy it is to make
basic one ( I am sure some congee expert or enthusiast will say I do not do it right but you could never please everybody)

here is my little easy recipe
1 cup of wash rice ( I use basmati as this is the one I have at home)
10 cup of water, salt, pepper to taste a pinch of saffron treads, & a cube of organic chicken stock
Bring you rice and water to boil let it roll for 2 min. then 30 to 45 min on medium heat
I just use a emersion blender to make it smooth
add some boil chicken and toasted fennel seeds
I like to top it with a spicy sauce but this is me.


Here is some variation you like it more thick then less water more liquid as a soup then 12 cup of water
usually when I make a chicken one I use half home made chicken stock and half water

I realize there is no rule make a tandoori or Madras curry,  a sweet one with raisin, half orange juice and water, a tomato & basil one, lobster & vanilla on a fish stock ... it stop where your imagination stop, have fun
Happy congee


No comments: