Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Vegan Coconut Bacon


Thank-you to 


COCONUT BACON

From Fettle Vegan: 
Sharing healthy vegan recipies  
Picture
As a vegan, I don't usually 'miss' meat. I don't crave it, or wish I still ate it- mostly. Bacon is my exception. I still don't cave actual pig-flesh bacon, but I definitely crave the salty, smoky flavor that comes along with it. Being away from it quelled those cravings for quite some time...until we tried Phoney Baloney's Elvis Sandwich. Stuffed with creamy peanut butter, sweet bananas, and salty coconut bacon, this sandwich taught me one thing: coconut bacon is a keeper. I learned how to make it the next day and have been making a batch almost-biweekly since.
Its a great addition to salads, sandwiches, soups...even desserts! But don't let me fool you-its addictive. You'll get to the point where you'll barely be able to walk by a bag without grabbing a handful of the stuff...or is that just me?
The recipe is super easy to make, and a great way to teach non-vegans that we make damn good food too!
Picture
Ingredients
3 1/2 cups flaked coconut
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine liquid smoke, braggs, maple syrup, and water in a large mixing bowl. Pour in flaked coconut, using a wooden spoon to gently toss the coconut in the liquid mixture. Once the coconut is evenly coated, pour it onto a non-stick baking sheet and slide it the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, using a spatula to flip the 'bacon' about every 5 minutes so it cooks evenly. This stuff WILL burn if you're not keeping an eye on it and regularly flipping it, so please do. Coconut bacon can be stored in a sealed bag or container for up to a week, refrigerator optional.
Enjoy!

No comments: