Updates and news from Jean-Pierre Cote and Maison Cote seasonings, spices, oils and vinegars, Vancouver, BC.
Thursday, June 27, 2013
Bacon Bourbon Ice cream recipe
The Gourmandise School of Sweets and Savories
For some ice cream.
Yeah, Hadley's got game. Showed up to work with a ridiculously large tub of outrageously delicious ice cream (thankfully, we were around with outlandishly large spoons). Created with love for sweet friends, this ice cream has friendship written all over it.
As with all our recipes, feel free to make it your own. Email us your ice cream concoctions and we'll pick one for our next ice cream class (stay tuned)!
Hadley's Ridiculously Creamy and Rich and Delicious Bacon Bourbon Ice Cream.
This ice cream was originally made for my friends and newlyweds, KC and Lizzie, bacon lovers extraordinaire.
In an oven set to 400, place:
5 pieces of thick cut bacon
2 tbsps brown sugar
1. Place bacon in an oven preheated to 400˚ cook until crispy(about 15-20 minutes).
2. Remove bacon from oven. Sprinkle 1 tbsp brown sugar over the bacon. Flip and repeat with second tablespoon of brown sugar. Cool and break up.
Bacon Bourbon Ice Cream
In a small pot bring to a boil:
1 -1/4 cups milk
In a medium bowl, whisk:
5 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
2 tbsps brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 tbsp bourbon
Candied bacon(see above)
1. Heat the milk slowly in a pan to boiling point, stirring constantly.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar together until they are light, smooth and fluffy.
Pour half of the heated milk slowly over the egg mixture, beating all the time.
3 Return the mixture to the stove and cook over a low heat, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon. The mixture will thicken a bit, enough to form a coating on the back of the spoon.
Pour thickened mixture into a bowl and cool before placing in the freezer to chill.
4. Once the milk mixture is cold, stir in chilled cream, vanilla, and brown sugar.
5. Place the milk mixture in the bowl of an ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions.
6. Just before the ice cream is completely set add bacon and bourbon. Once the desired consistency is achieved remove from ice cream maker and serve. Return to freezer if not using immediately