Updates and news from Jean-Pierre Cote and Maison Cote seasonings, spices, oils and vinegars, Vancouver, BC.
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Live and Fried. Churros recipe
The Gourmandise School of Sweets and Savories
Live and Fried.
We're so excited to start bringing you more of our classes- straight in your kitchen and with playback features. Rewind the stunning footage of glaze dripping of the warm, pillowy doughnuts. Replay the scientific explanation behind yeast and sugars. Our online classes through Tastemade are filmed in the same format as the ones you've taken with us, only they're priced at $29.99 and accessible anytime, anywhere.
The Doughnut class was released last Friday with an incredible response. We're celebrating by offering a two for one deal- you buy the Doughnut episode, you get Macarons on us. The deal will expire on Friday, so click here, log in and enter this code: (bake2for1). Looking for something more savory? Indian Chef Kaumudi Marathe of Un-Curry fame released this stunning Intro to Indian class here. Want more fried goodness? Scroll down for our Churro recipe. Let us know which other classes you'd like to see online!
In a medium saucepot, place:
1 cup water
4 1/2 ounces butter
1 cup flour
1.Bring the water, butter,and salt to a simmer. Turn the heat off
2. Add the flour all at once and stir vigorously. Turn the heat on to low and stir until the mixture creates a layer of dough on the bottom of the saucepot.
3. Place the mixture in a larger bowl and mix just a little to release the steam.
4. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until a smooth and even batter forms. Start heating the oil.
5. Once your oil has reached 350 degrees, you can start frying.
6. Have a pair of scissors nearby. Pipe segments of dough, cutting them at your tip once you reach a desired length. Fry each churro for 4-5 minutes, longer if your test churro is raw in the center (this will vary depending on the size of your tip).
7. Pick your churros up carefully tongs or a slotted spoon. Toss them in the cinnamon sugar.
8. Wait just a few minutes before eating- they are hot!!!