Updates and news from Jean-Pierre Cote and Maison Cote seasonings, spices, oils and vinegars, Vancouver, BC.
Thursday, February 6, 2014
The Gourmandise School of Sweets and Savories
Love is at steak.
1. Valentine's Day is coming up.
2. Don't stress over it.
3. Make something from scratch.
4. Revel in your culinary prowess with friends, a friend, a loved one or a new sweetheart.
6. The rest is none of our business.
Hadley's menu for a recent private event had my eyes rolling back into my belly. These simple recipes highlight the best of winter- root vegetables, nuts and a classic steak that needs only a few steps to grilled perfection.
Now- none of this matters unless you get your hands on some
great ingredients. Enter Giles, the Santa Monica Merchant, and his fine selection of grass-fed meats, local cheeses and exquisite produce. He's our neighbor (and a dangerous source of Albion strawberries during an unlikely season) and can put all of your ingredients together for this fine meal. Just
callahead and have them put together all your produce and protein needs for this or any in-season meal you've got planned, drive up to The Market and pick it up in just moment.
Giles and his staff are conveniently located a few doors down from us in The Market and offer delivery service of their produce boxes, a retails selection of his meats, produce and cheeses and recipes on their site. If making it to the farmers markets is tough, the Merchant's selections, from the same farmers, are a great option at great prices.
It's winter, you wouldn't know it, but most of the grills on my street are in hibernation. We make these on cast-iron grill pans, available anywhere but especially at Cook by Venokado- An equally dangerous-for-cooks-neighbor.
4 New York Strip Sirloin Steaks, or steak of your choice
2 garlic clove, thinly sliced
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp red pepper flakes
zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tbsp coarse sea salt
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1. Season the steaks with rosemary, garlic, hot pepper, lemon zest, salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Let the steaks come to room temperature before grilling.
2. Heat a grill to medium-high. Grill steaks to desired temperature, about 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Rest the steaks, covered in aluminum foil, for 8 to 10 minutes.
Honey and Citrus Glazed Carrots with Hazelnuts and Burrata
1 tbsp butter
2lbs sliced carrots
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup chicken broth
Juice and zest 1 orange
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
1. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add honey, broth, orange juice and orange zest and stir until combine.
2. Place carrots in a baking dish pour liquid on top. Bake at 350˚ for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with burrata and hazelnuts.